Saturday, August 10, 2013

Team Singapore prepares for IDF 2013

Last month, Dartslive Singapore held a selection tournament to select the best male and female player to join Paul Lim and Harith Lim to form a Team Singapore to participate in the IDF World Cup 2013. The talented players that won the selection were Tony Teo and Kristine Lim. They will also be joined by the runners-up, Pau Jin Kuang and Yinn Cheng, as part of Team Singapore.

The International Darts Federation have been holding their World Cup series in Shanghai since 2010. This year, it will be held at the East Asia Exhibition Hall (next to Shanghai Stadium) from Aug 21 to Aug 25, 2013. THE WORLD Stage 5 will be co-running at the same place on Aug 25.

IDF 2013 Team Singapore - (from left) Harith Lim, Yinn Cheng, Kristine Lim, Pau Jin Kuang, Tony Teo, Paul Lim

Last week, Paul Lim came to Singapore to do a 2-day training session with the whole Team Singapore and came away with a stronger hope of achieving a better win this year. Paul had this to say about Tony Teo, "I've known Tony for a few years now and I have always regarded Tony as a pretty strong player. A player that could hold his own. A player who can play well under pressure."

Tony Teo is working hard preparing for the tournament. He shared, "This is my first time playing with Paul Lim together in a team. I have heard from others that the IDF tournament is very good. So far, I feel Team Singapore is not very far away from the rest and hope we can do well and win the Champion title, of course. I have not been to Shanghai before but I am proud to be there with them as part of Team Singapore."

Tony on the line
Tony knew that playing overseas is always different than at home with the local players. "In Singapore, we know most of the players and have played with them before. But playing overseas is a little different. We don't know the opponents, we don't know their strategies. So we have to keep ourselves mentally fit and fight all the way, that's all. If we win, we take it. If we lose, we still have to take it. So, don't worry too much and just do it!", advised Tony.

The other male players in the team are Jin Kuang and Harith Lim. Harith have been doing well this year, he won 3rd place in this year's THE WORLD Stage 1 event in Hong Kong. "Compared to last year, I think Harith is more involved into darts now," Paul Lim shared. "The way he is throwing right now - he is throwing really, really well. As for me, I'm always the same - I will contribute my best. So, I think, I am not worried about the guys, the guys should definitely make it through."

(from left) Yinn Cheng and Kristine Lim 

Kristine Lim, the lady winner, also agreed. She had seen the guys play and is confident they can help pull the team through. "They are all very good, especially Jin Kuang. I was so impressed as I thought he is quite a new player. But when I see the way he play, wah, I was very amazed. I feel he has very good potential."

Kristine herself have been training hard and often, usually with Yinn Cheng, who is also her league team mate. Kristine confided, "I am actually a bit fearful of playing IDF as I heard the darters there are very good and Singapore darters may not be as strong as them but I hope we can make it. Hopefully we can train more with the guys so at least we know the chemistry between our partners and understand each other's game more."

The IDF world cup team event is organized a little differently compared to other tournaments. In most of the other soft tip or steel tip tournaments, the ladies events are usually held separately from the mens events. In the IDF format,  the ladies play a big part in the team and they are very involved, playing with the guys together. Paul feels, "Actually, you can say that the IDF event is a more true 'team event' with the guys and girls contributing to the team. I can't say the system is good or bad. Its just a system that we have to deal with."

Paul had seen the Team Singapore ladies play during the training sessions and he knows the ladies are going to be a crucial part of the team. "I have known Kristine for a long time now, " shared Paul, "but I have not seen Yinn Cheng play before this. After watching her play last night, I think she is pretty steady. More importantly is how they perform during big tournaments as I have not seen them play before. But based on what I've seen, what they can do last night , they will have to perform their best for us to have a chance.  Honestly, I have faith in them though.  The team need to support each other. The guys need to give more positive , confidence approach towards the ladies. I think that's what they need. With a bit of a luck hopefully, we should have a better chance than what we did last year. Definitely, we will have a better chance than last year."

There are many strong teams in the IDF World Cup Team event, among the strongest ones are teams from Britain, Australia, Croatia, US, Russia and Japan. Paul shares, "I definitely know there are a lot more stronger countries participating. But it really depends on the day itself. Just take one game at a time. If we perform the way we can, the way I believe we can, we really have a shot against any country out there."

Let us wish IDF 2013 Team Singapore - Good darts ! Good Luck ! Jia You!

0 comments:

Post a Comment