Wednesday, December 11, 2013

The Riverlution iDarts Tour

River Ang a.k.a. Riverlution recently completed his Riverlution iDarts Tour to Malaysia and Singapore for the launch of his Riverlution "Pro Series" Darts set by Target Darts. In total, he visited 4 i Darts shop in the region : i Darts Hex, i Darts Quad and i Darts Trinity in Malaysia and i Darts Senso in Singapore. At each stop, he sparred with players and gave away some prizes as well as a Riverlution Darts Set to a lucky winner. The response was fantastic and everyone had fun.

River first started playing darts as a game to pass time while hanging out with his friends but soon after that, he realized that he was actually quite good in it and started participating in the Super League. He trained seriously almost every day, sometimes up to 5-8 hours a day! River had won more than 20 trophies in various darts tournament both locally and abroad and more than 10 champion trophies including team events. Although he resides in Singapore now, he also had the opportunity to represent his own country, Malaysia, in the IDF (International Darts Federation) World Cup tournament in Shanghai recently.

At the end of the Malaysian tour, he shared his experience with us about the iDarts Tour to Malaysia.

River Ang, at i Darts Hex

What do you think about the level of darters that you played with in KL ?
There were some new darters and there were some seasoned players. Some of the darters I played with are quite obviously very new to the game. However, for the more experienced players, they improve very fast, although they just started playing less than a year ago. When they have the opportunity to check out, I will try to let them have at least one chance to checkout and some of them managed to do it.


River Ang, with players at i Darts Quad

Which shop's players in Malaysia gave you more challenge during the event?
All the 3 iDarts shop in Malaysia gave me about the same level of challenge during the event. I treat it as a fun and sharing event. It was an event for everyone to enjoy happily. It was not a competition. I was not out to beat everyone of them. It was more like a fun and sharing experience. I was very happy with the event as I enjoyed playing the game with everyone and I hope everyone else enjoyed the game too. I can see some of them were quite nervous too, so sometimes I give them the chance to checkout. During the first 3 darts, they had this look on their face that they feel they are not going to checkout. But after the first few rounds when I did not hit a hat trick or checkout, they suddenly realised, "eh, I have a chance!" and they became more motivated and encouraged with the crowd cheering them on. Some of them managed to checkout, so I am happy for them.


River Ang, with some of the participants at i Darts Trinity

What are some of questions that you get from the participants ?
Some of the participants were new to the game while some were seasoned players. The new ones were not yet sure or confident about their throw or they were just having fun, enjoying the challenge and playing the game. So they don't have much questions yet. The more seasoned darters will ask me about the stroke, the flow, what they can change to improve, etc.

What kind of encouragements can you give to the Malaysian players, especially to those that you sparred with?
Firstly, to improve, you really have to love the game. If you don't like it enough, you won't like working hard for it. But if you like the game, you would work hard and train hard to improve on it. Love the game then train hard for it!

You are the 2nd Malaysian (after Amin) to get his own signature darts set , how do you feel about the achievement ?
As far as I know now, that is true. For sure, I am proud, very excited and happy about it. I feel it is a recognition from the darts community for the hard work and effort that I have put into it.  When I got my signature dart, I felt very proud about it. I felt like I have achieved a level. It gave me tremendous encouragement to be better and to go further. I will strive and work hard.

I really want to thank my sponsors - Target Darts and JDarts for their support. I really appreciate it. Also to Dartslive for organizing everything. The organizer is important because if there is no organiser, we won't have the opportunity. I know it is not simple to organize a game or an event. You need to put in the effort, money and time and there may not be good response for the event. So I am very appreciative of them.

River Ang, with players at i Darts Senso

What are some of the qualities a Super-A flight player need to have to maintain the standard?
You can't totally stay away from darts. You may not have the time to train hard every day for long hours but you can do some darts related activities like watching a darts video or light training or other activities so you don't feel too far away from the game. Practice and training is important as well as the passion for it. Look after your own health. Maintain your stamina. Feeling nervous is OK as you can't avoid that. Feeling nervous will help you focus but not fear. You have to differentiate between nervous and fear. They may have similar symptoms like faster heart beat or dry throat but you must understand and differentiate between these two feelings. Love the game and train hard!

The 4 lucky winners who won River Ang's Signature Darts Set



0 comments:

Post a Comment