Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Interview with Cathy Leung, Dartslive Official Player (Part 2)

This is a continuation from Part 1 of the interview. Read the first part of the interview.

Cathy plays in the Hong Kong Super League Premier division and recently won the Season 8's Female MVP Award. She felt that winning the MVP award was a lot harder than winning champion in a single tournament as the league games was spread out over the whole season. “When you are in the team, you have to play well in the singles game as well as in the doubles. Frankly speaking, I don't have a lot of experience in big tournaments since I just started playing darts actively about a year ago." Before the MVP award, she had also won 2nd runner-up Females Singles in another local tournament.

Cathy knows that as a relatively new darts player, she still need a lot of tournament experience. "I have not played in a lot of tournaments so I don't dare to have big goals yet. In the next few years, I plan to play in more big tournaments around the region to get some experience and hope to establish myself as a good lady darter in Asia and in future, the world."

Cathy Leung, at Singapore's Super Knockout Tournament, 2014

As with many other countries, there are not many Hong Kong lady darters especially when compared with lady darters from Japan or South Korea. Cathy wished the standard of the HK lady darters can be further improved. "I hope there will be more lady darters to rise up together with me so that we can stand on a level ground with players from around the region."

However, even if you train darts for 10 or 100 hours, it doesn't automatically make you a top player. Cathy shared, "When I first started playing darts, I knew this sport demands your whole mind, body and spirit to be in sync. The 'body' refers to the darts technique, the 'mind' refers to your attitude and most importantly, your 'spirit' - your self-confidence and ability to control yourself and thrive under pressure. If you can master all the 3 aspects, then you can be a top player."

So how can we introduce more ladies to darts? Being an artiste working in Hong Kong's entertainment industry, Cathy felt she can use media to her advantage to introduce soft tip darts to more ladies whether it is through TV coverage, magazine or news articles. Cathy shared, "I am one of the few lady darts player in Hong Kong’s entertainment industry who also plays in darts tournaments or leagues. A lot of reporters, DJs, or my friends, find it interesting and ask me out to talk about darts so I have the opportunity to introduce darts to them or teach them how to play darts. That is what I can do. I tell my friends that this is a cool game and besides, in the game of darts, it doesn't mean that guys will always be better than girls. If we were playing basketball or swimming, it would be difficult or impossible for us to beat the guys!"

Cathy feels darts is an ideal game to be played fair and square between guys or girls alike. "In some tournaments, there are no separation between the guy or girl, so sometimes I may play against a guy. I feel very happy playing in an event that is played fair and square. Although sometimes I lose, but sometimes I win too. I tell the other girls, ‘It’s a very good game. You can enjoy and play with your girlfriends or your boyfriends . That is how I introduce the game to other girls.’”

When it comes to improving darts skill, Cathy have a little unconventional tip, "You have to love the game. When you love the game, you will develop the passion to improve yourself further. Paul Lim taught me that the best inspiration is to have strong passion and love for the game. If you encounter some deadlock or become stagnant in your game and you need a breakthrough, then you have to increase the love and passion for the game. So, my suggestion for you to improve your darts is to love your darts. You will soon be able to play better!"

Cathy Leung at the Dartslive Singapore's Super League Season 7 Fiesta

During her first trip to Singapore, Cathy appreciated the warm welcome from all the local darters and Dartslive staff. "I love the food and atmosphere in Singapore. I would definitely visit again for some food, darts and sightseeing." Her most memorable experience had been the Super League Season 7 Fiesta party. "It was a crazy celebration night. I enjoyed it so much and I surely cannot forget the surprise birthday cake and birthday song that everyone sang for me. Thank you for giving me a warm birthday surprise!"

She also had a lot of fun interacting with the local darters during the Super Knockout Tournament and Super League Fiesta. "I think the Singapore players are a group of fast-growing players. I see young players who have great potential to grow as top players in Asia. And you guys are so blessed to be able to play in leagues and tournaments that are so well arranged. I love playing with Singapore players because you are all so nice and passionate for darts!"

Cathy have this encouragement to share with all the darters, "No matter what you are going through in life, your peaks or your valleys, never give up! Be humble and simple for your darts. Seek true friends who support and love you not because of how good you play but because of you are inside. Walk with them and grow with them. Love your darts, love your team. And most importantly, love yourself! Bless you all Singapore players and I hope to see you soon!"

Read the first part of the interview here

0 comments:

Post a Comment